Below the layout of the pins on the Arduino board. Each Stepper Motor Driver needs to be connected to the following pins:
- Stepper Driver Enable/Disable – Pin 8
- Direction – Pin 5-7 depending on the Axis(X,Y,Z)
- Stepping Pulse – Pin 2-4 depending on the Axis(X,Y,Z)
Limit Switches prevent the machine for over extending each axis and are connected to Pins 9-11.
Grbl also allows for Spindle control with Pins 12 and 13 and coolant control with Pin A3.
UPDATE!!! We have given back to the GRBL project and developed a ARDUINO CNC SHIELD that is 100% GRBL compatible.(Click here for more details)
If you are interested in making your own CNC machines we recommend you have a look at the following books:
- Build Your Own CNC Machine – By James Floyd Kelly and P. Hood-Daniel
- CNC Machining Handbook: Building, Programming, and Implementation – By Alan Overby