Interesting how the human mind works. Take for example the video below… Somewhere in a crowded candy factory people make Skittles in all sorts of colors and then mix them up so people can enjoy some variety.
… just to be sorted back to each color 5 minutes later. (I always loved the red once more!!!)
So how does this actually work? Very simple… Each color emits a different spectrum of light. By linking a color sensor like the TAOS TCS3200 to a micro-controller your micro-controller will be able to distinguish different colors.
The color sensor works by turning light waves entering its lens into electronics pulses for the Micro-controller to process. The Micro-controller counts the number of pulse it receives and compares it to a color table it stores.
So you might be asking what can this be used for? Here are a few examples :
- Fruit sorting machines can sort fruits by ripeness using color.
- Rice,grain and seeds gets sorted by color.
- Recycling machines can sort crushed glass by color.
- Color matching machines uses it in the printing industry.
- Apparently it’s also used for sorting Skittles…