Below the layout of the pins on the Arduino board. Each Stepper Motor Driver needs to be connected to the following pins:
- Stepper Driver Enable/Disable – Pin 8
- Direction – Pin 5-7 depending on the Axis(X,Y,Z)
- Stepping Pulse – Pin 2-4 depending on the Axis(X,Y,Z)
Limit Switches prevent the machine for over extending each axis and are connected to Pins 9-11.
Grbl also allows for Spindle control with Pins 12 and 13 and coolant control with Pin A3.
If you are interested in making your own CNC machines we recommend you have a look at the following books:
- Build Your Own CNC Machine - By James Floyd Kelly and P. Hood-Daniel
- CNC Machining Handbook: Building, Programming, and Implementation – By Alan Overby